You are here: Home About Us History
The Federal College of Education, Abeokuta was established in 1976 as the Federal Advanced Teachers College, in addition to three other similar Colleges that were previously in existence at Okene, Pankshin and Yola. It is the first tertiary institution in Ogun State. The College started at the then Abeokuta Grammar School, Isale-Igbein right in the centre of Abeokuta, the capital of Ogun State. The College at inception shared the site with Abeokuta Grammar School until early January, 1978 when the school moved to its new site.
Abeokuta, the location of the College, is a historic Yoruba town founded by the Egbas in 1830 and is the capital of Ogun State. The town’s geographical location makes it easily accessible. The nation’s seaport and industrial centre, Lagos is 104 kilometres to the South, while Ibadan, the largest city in the country is 77 kilometres to the North. Ogun State, otherwise known as the Gateway State, in a related vein is located in the South Western Zone of Nigeria. It is bounded in the West by the Republic of Benin; in the South by Lagos State and the Atlantic Ocean; in the East by Ondo State and in the North by Oyo and Osun States.
The Federal College of Education, Abeokuta provides three-year full-time and five-year sandwich courses respectively leading to the award of the Nigeria Certificate in Education [NCE]. The foundation day of the College is January 27, 1977, the day the first set of eighty-six  students were registered after about four months of preparatory activities and assembling staff and equipment on site. This action gave practical effect to the Government plan and provisions in the 1976/1977 estimates for the establishment of an Advanced Teachers College at Abeokuta among others provided for, at other places during the year.